Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Servanthood

"For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake."
2 Cor 4:5

As many of my friends have already mentioned in their blogs, this should be the goal for ministry in the Church :)

When I was thinking about the above verse, what moved me more wasn't the first part, but more of the second.. "your servants for Jesus' sake".

Paul the apostle, this great man of God, didn't consider himself superior to both the Jews and the Gentiles. This man, for the sake of the gospel, identified himself as a servant towards the Corinthians. There was none of that, "Hey, I'm the one slogging in the sun out here, could you hurry up with the cup of water already!". He was dedicated to sharing and proclaiming the gospel to all he met... with words, with sweat and blood, with love. Here was a man who didn't just obey Christ for the sake of being faithful... he loved Christ with ALL his heart. And thus, he loved the people with ALL his heart as well. He spared no effort in encouraging his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. As John Chapman taught from Acts 20:17-25, here was Paul's efforts in his Ministry...

"with tears and with trials that happened to me" (v.19)

"teaching you in public and from house to house" (v. 20)

"testifying both to Jews and to Greeks" (v. 21)

"for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears" (v. 31)

"these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me" (v. 34)

Paul's strength didn't come from himself. Christ was his all in all. Paul's vision was aimed upwards, and as he mentioned in v. 24, "But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."

"the gospel of the grace of God". This wonderful grace of God, made evident through the life of Christ our Lord... this King himself taught us to wash each other's feet, to serve one another as children of God.

Ministry ain't about leadership, its about proclaiming Christ and being a servant to your fellow Christians.

In my head now is the lyrics of one of my favourite hymns, Servant King. Will end off by typing the lyrics below. May we recognise the wonderful grace of God in our lives, and may we seek to not only constantly obey Him, but to constantly love Him and others as well.

The Servant King

From heaven you came, helpless babe
Entered our world, your glory veiled
Not to be served, but to serve
And give your life that we might live

chorus
:
This is our God, the servant King
He calls us now to follow Him
To bring our lives as a daily offering
Of worship to, the servant King

There in the garden of tears
My heavy load He chose to bear
His heart with sorrow was torn
"Yet not my will, but Yours", He said

Come see His hands and His feet
The scars that speak of sacrifice
Hands that flung stars into space
To cruel nails surrendered

So let us learn how to serve
And in our lives enthrone Him
Each other's needs to prefer
For it is Christ we're serving

No comments: