Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Just growing...

Today's the 15th day of the Lunar New Year, and it marks the end of Chinese New Year/Spring celebrations... which equates to no more visiting and hong pau's... oh well ;p There's always next year right? ;) hehe...

Been thinking about these 15 days of 'celebrations'. Nothing really special about them. Just that these days have a natural classification--"the 15 days of the New Year". Easier to remember them this way. And honestly, I encountered with "blogger's block" after last Wednesday. Yes, I know this sounds terribly silly to have "blogger's block" but I just did. I just sat there in front of the white screen and thought that I knew what I wanted to share with everyone. But no satisfactory words came. Hehe... oh well...

So, a whole load of tiny snippets in my life have just been accumulating this past week. But one question remained after it all... what kinda Christian am I? What kinda Christian will I be the next CNY?

Why this question? Well for one, I sat in at a Sunday School class (Kindergarten level) last sunday to see if this ministry was one where I could serve in. (The Sunday School Superintendant approached me and asked me to give it a go) And I must say I enjoyed myself pretty much :) The kids were really adorable and one word comes into mind--innocent. Yes, at that level, they are largely innocent of the world around them. From there, 1 Cor 14:20 came into mind...

"Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature."
1 Cor 14:20.

In the context of 1 Cor 14 and the issue about tongues in the church, this verse was a real standout. In essence, Paul went down to the crux of his faith, what occupied his thoughts and motivated his actions-- The gospel. This, he explained in Chapt 15. And prior to 1 Cor 14, Paul talked about the greatest way in exercising one's gifts in Ministry... Love. (1 Cor 13). So, from 1 Cor 14:20, Paul exorted us to be mature in our thinking, in our understanding of the gospel. Also, he wants us to be infants, not children mind you, infants in evil...

Therefore, I was left thinking again... how am I as a Christian? Am I mature in my understanding of the gospel and do I strive to be like an infant in the area of evil?

I think that I am maturing, (note the continuous tense) in my understanding of the gospel. And I really thank God for all the people He placed in my life to sharpen my understanding. Special thanks to those who were guiding me 2 years ago, a time period that I can say was life-changing... you know who you are, thank you for being faitful in passing the good deposit to me :) Personally, I have A LOT MORE to learn and A LONG, LONG, LONG way more to go in this area of being mature in my thinking and actions but I know that my Lord is faithful, and that He'll lead me all the way.

Infants in evil... an even LONGER way to go. In this area however, I once again thank those who I hold myself accountable to and in giving me firm and wise advise in the different areas of life.

So, how am I as a Christian? I'm a growing one. Not grown, not fully mature... just growing. Also, I pray that I'll also be able to help others grow in their walk with Christ. In the meantime though, as I eagerly wait 30 days for Good Friday, 222 days for my 23rd birthday, 305 days for Christmas, 312 days for 2006, 352 days for CNY and an unknown number of day for the coming of Christ, I wanna grow... for I'm just growing and glowing for my Lord :)

No comments: