Monday, February 14, 2005

My tummy's favourite days

Will take a break from sharing about what I've learnt from MM and share from the first few days of CNY (much like everyone else... how boring can I get? :p)

Anyway, due to my stupidity in not bringing a book and the fact that both my grandma's homes "magically" turn into gambling dens every Lunar New Year (the crackling of majong tiles and the shuffling of poker cards is still in my head), I was kinda left with wondering what to do with my time...

In the end, this is what I did for both days of CNY:

(i) watched cheesy and terribley dubbed afternoon Hong Kong movies on Channel 5 & 8 (imagine Jet Li speaking American! Sheesh!)

(ii) imagined myself to be sword-swinging Aragon and bow-wielding Legolas fighting off hideous orcs, trolls, the Witch King and Shelob in Lord Of the Rings:Return of the King on the X-Box (the most enjoyable activity this CNY actually! :p)

(iii) put on fat from all the pineapple tarts, bak kua, kweh bulu, cashewnut cookies, cock-zai, etc.... (no popcorn to accompany the cheesy matinees!)

(iv) collected ang pows (the cantonese have the tradition of giving them in pairs *wink*)

(v) pretended to be a big, bad monster trying to invade my young cousin's "fortress" of pillows and bolsters (I pity the beds...)

Lesson I've learnt from all of this? Bring a good book! And sadly, unless God-willing, CNY might not be the best time, in my extended family, to try to share the gospel as children are trying to "invest" their ang pows in tiles and cards; all in the effort to gain more dividends. Parents then are trying to cover the "losses" of giving out ang pows.

So far, I think my tummy enjoyed CNY the most ;p (not to mention that its growing bigger!)

At the end of the day though.......



I need to start running again... (running kaki anyone?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we got smart this year - brought a scrabble set. mwahaha

hanz

adrian said...

my cuz & family not too "scrabbly" ppl... according to them, it sucks out your brain juice & requires too much word power :p

Mskmouse said...

i felt i've wasted my cny break..couldn't do much work as many people were around. basically just eat, sleep and stone. played 'party scrabble' with my siblings though. :)

adrian said...

'party scrabble'? what's that? well, dun think you've wasted it lah... at least you managed to learn some new words no? ;)

Mskmouse said...

eh..it's called 'Party Scrabble', belongs to the family of Scrabble.