Sunday, August 29, 2004

How Genesis links to the gospel

And while I eagarly await comments on my previous entry *hint, hint ;)* , my thoughts for the day...

As I wrote in my blog just this week about wanting to understand more of how the OT (Old Testament) links with the gospel and how events in the OT are about Jesus himself, my youth counsellor Paul went through "Christian Theology in Genesis 101" today :) As far as possible, will try to summarize as much as I can remember...

1) The first 3 days of Creation mirrored the last 3 days.
(a) Day 1/4: Darkness --> Light
(b) Day 2/5: Water
(c) Day 3/6: Land
(d) Day 7 : Rest
[Will not go too much into the details, those who interested to know, drop me a comment and mail and we'll talk :) ]
The first 3 days of Creation saw God creating the "structure" of the Earth and in the subsequent 3 days, one can put it as God"filling in the details". Creation, in all its wonder, mirrors God's redemption plan for Man. Man was in sin, in darkness. But God, in His grace, created us anew in Christ! We saw THE Light! Even from creation, God knew what we would do, He knew that we would betray Him. But even then, His plan for our redemption was already in work. Praise God for His grace and mercy! As for the day of rest, we have yet to fully rest. Let us press on in our Christian walk now, awaiting the day where we can really rest in God's new Kingdom :)

2) Genesis is about the fulfillment of a promise. A promise made to our forefather Abraham. "[2]I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. [3]I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you" Gen 12:2,3 [NIV]
God has kept His promises, and He is still keeping that promise to Abraham. Praise God for His neverending faithfulness!

3) Issac met his wife(Rebekah) by a well (Gen 24). Jacob, Issac's son, also met one of his wives(the wife he loved, Rachel) by a well (Gen 29). Moses too, met his wife (Zipporah) by a well (Exo 2). And guess what? Jesus met his "wife" by a well too :) No, Jesus never physically married the Samaritan women he met by the well in John Chapter 4 but the Samaritan women represented the church-- his bride. Salvation wasn't merely for the Jews, it was meant for everyone! We are his bride, his church. And our Lord Jesus Christ is the bridegroom :) Praise God for his grace extended to us!

Anyway, those are some snippets of what I've learnt today :) Truely, Jesus Christ came to fulfill all that written; and all that was written was about Him for His Glory. Sometimes I wish that I was there in Luk 24:27 when Jesus, on the road to Emmaus explained how He was a fulfillement of everything in the OT; But today though, I have the privilege of having the precious Word of God at my disposal... what a wonderful privilege!

What a wonderful, powerful, marvelous God we serve and worship! Hallelujah! :)


No comments: