Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Grace

Do we say 'grace' with a sincere heart every time? You know, the prayer of thanksgiving before we makan our food...

Was having dinner on Mon and my brother joined me while I was halfway through. And before digging in, he did his usual 'grace'-- a quick 6-second silent prayer of "Lord, thank You for the food, thank You for the hands which prepared it and may it nourish my body. Amen"

After that, I thought about my own 6-second 'grace' that I say before meals. And it kinda runs in the same manner as my bro's. Worse, I think its not always a prayer.. its often a 6-second recitation of 'grace'. Of course, there are times where 'grace' is sincerely and genuinely said. Sad to say however, these times are mostly when I say grace for a group of people. When I'm alone, I sometimes tell myself that a "quicky" will suffice.

Well, I know I need to change in this aspect of failing to recognise our Lord's grace constantly and taking it for granted. My other challenge? To bring forth this message to my bro and remind him that it ain't a 6-second recitation, its a "not-limited-by-time prayer of thanksgiving for ultimate grace"

2 comments:

yahwee said...

hehhh..i think it's pretty common. it's almost literally saying "GRACE!" before tucking in rite. just for yr information, i've heard of some Korean Christians who pray for a good 15mins before they makan their food. that is their kind of 'grace'. it is reallie sth impressive and i think it's sth we can learn from... :)

another thing, when i was still attending fcbc, the church would pray for their senior pastor and the family cos they emphasized alot on prayer covering for the head of the church, etc.. so they would all remember them at every meal, which i thought was a reallie great thing to do.. but well, tt's a little harder to explain to yr lil' bro rite..? ;) aniwaes.

lalalaaaa~

adrian said...

hehe... i can try telling that to my bro though :p emphasize "try"...