Thursday, August 19, 2004

Paternal "instincts"

Lecture today was very... maternal to say the least...

I'm doing a module titled "Developmental Psychology" this semester and the lecture today was on the pre-natal and post-natal phase of human development. The standard vocab was heard. ie. zygote, embryo, twins, etc...(will not use the technical terms here, I'm having trouble remembering them myself!)

But really, most of the lecture was focused on what a mother would experience and feel during these phases of her pregnancy and the post-natal phase. AND a fair bit was also about the role of her husband and how he can support his wife in this period of... the human lifespan.

Other stuff I had to learn... the various ways a baby is delivered (natural, caesarian, epidural, etc..). And oh, did you know that babies have 3 different ways of crying? I was pretty intrigued.

Learning about all this kinda puts parenthood into perspective. Even though I am nowhere near that phase in life, one realises that a lot is expected. Even before the baby is born, so much has to be done. And when your precious child is born, before you lies a great gift and reponsibility our Heavenly Father has graciously bestowed. Also, there in lies a new ministry for the father and mother as well-- to bring up their child in the fear and love of God.

For now, I'm still single and have no children of my own. Moreover, I am still a child to parents who sacrificed a lot in loving, caring and providing for me. I thank God for them and my prayer is that God will teach me how to honour them and love them better.

No comments: