Monday, February 19, 2007

The Marriage Miracle

I found myself getting asked the age-old-CNY-question-that-is-aimed-at-any-unattached-young-adult umpteen times this year.

"When are you getting a girlfriend?"

And what used to be joke seems to have taken a dramatic turn.

"Adrian ah... here's wishing you good results in your studies, that you might find a job fast and you might find a girlfriend and settle down soon."

And when the conversation gets steered to what everyone did during the recent Valentine's Day, my answer was... distinctly different *wink*

"Oh, I spent Valentine's Day calling and talking to 15 guys."

I have to say that some of their shell-shocked stares was hilarious :)

This was the predominant topic of discussion at both paternal & maternal sides of the extended family. But perhaps what was most interesting was finding out what my relatives (both cousins & aunties/uncles alike) thought about relationships.

To me, my view of relationships is being molded by the Word of God and the life experiences that He's putting me through. I feel that one of the greatest miracles of life is Marriage. A miracle where 2 people, whom God has put together, bound by a love for Him, a love for each other and a load of commitment, spend the rest of their lives being each other's partner. A union which encompasses the physical, the mental, the emotional and the spiritual. A miracle which mirrors the indescribable love that Christ has for His Bride, the Church.

Would I love to get married? YES! I would love to have someone--a friend, a companion, a lover who I know will always be there for me through thick and thin. A someone whom I can share my storms and rainbows with. A someone whom I can promise my heart too as well.

Am I ready for a relationship however? I don't know. I would like to think that I am but its not really up to me :) But I trust that God will bring that someone who'll love me as much as I love her in His own timing.

For marriage is more than just attraction and love. Its about commitment, lordship, servitude, self-sacrifice, give-and-take, ministry, perseverance, encouragement, understanding. Its about loving your wife above yourself. It will sometimes lead you to letting go to what you cherish, for the greater godliness for both. Tears and heartache are guaranteed... coupled with delirious joy and life-defining moments. Practically speaking, you might have to sacrifice that football game you were looking forward to so much if your wife needs you. At times, the man will have to suck in his pride to admit that he was wrong. At other times, it will entail him having to take on his role as head of the household to remind his family that Christ-likeness is always the goal.

Marriage is about glorifying God.

So Lord, accept my efforts at surrendering my will to you. My life, my loves, my relationships, my heart. Be it singlehood or marriage, may Thy name be glorified. Amen.

No comments: