Sunday, December 26, 2004

Christmas is over...

Christmas is over. What next?

That seems to be the main theme in most of the comics in yesterday's Straits Times. And indeed, this question remains? What next? Continued partying? More drinking? Even more useless resolutions? And besides all of that, there is always the predictable "10/20/50 best ____ of 2004" or "10/20/50 worst _____ of 2004" lists in newspapers and magazines. (fill in the blanks yourself)

That's post-Christmas "traditions" for you.

This year, part of me wishes to put the whole year behind me and just look forward to the future. The other part of me wants to look to history, to think, to reflect... and if left uncontrolled, to wallow in self-pity. I often wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way or whether there are others like me out there?

Am I that pathetic? Hopeless? Worthless? Romans 3:10-18 seems to say so... "[10] There is no one righteous, not even one; [11] there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. [12]All have turned away, they have together become worthless.... [18] There is no fear of God before their eyes." Harsh words. Painful words even... Isn't God a God of Comfort? A God who's supposed to be there for me? I mean, He sent baby Jesus didn't He? He sent Jesus to save ME right? Why does He then tell me that I'm, I'm... worthless?! Worse still, in that passage of Romans, He says that out of my lips comes the poison of vipers! What?!

This isn't what Christmas/post-Christmast is about! ....... Or is it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That, exactly is why we NEED Christ as our Saviour, and He came on that day 2000 years ago to fulfil God's promises.

Think about it, IF we lived perfectly under God's rule, what need is there for Christ to come and die in such a manner?

Don't think the perfect Father would ever send the Perfect Son to do something totally useless right? ;)

adrian said...

Thanks a million for commenting Ray & Yong Chieh! :) This was what I was hoping to achieve with this blog... for many to think about their own worthlessness, for i had to go through that phase myself. Both your comments have basically summarised what I was gonna say in my next blog ;)

Anonymous said...

"This year, part of me wishes to put the whole year behind me and just look forward to the future. The other part of me wants to look to history, to think, to reflect... and if left uncontrolled, to wallow in self-pity. I often wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way or whether there are others like me out there?"

*raises hand and waves frantically*
me! me!

and i wanna let you know that Ezekiel 36:26 says
" I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. "

in other words, when you ask Jesus into your heart, you get a new heart. so, adrian, you are not a bad person.

hanz

adrian said...

thanks for the encouragement hanz! :)