Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Lost in Translation??

I just watched 'Lost in Translation'... great film. (I very backdated in my movie-catching, I know :p) Yes, I call this a film... think 'show' or 'movie' doesn't give this intelligent potrayal of life credit. Hehe... and yes, its one of those "arty, farty" kinda films. However, the humour gives it that bit of life that will make you sit up and give it the attention it deserves. I won't go through the part about excellant acting, chemistry between actors, blah, blah, blah.... rather, what first drew my 'easily-divided attention' to the film was the title-- LOST IN TRANSLATION.

What in the world did that mean??

A blog title of a close friend of mine read, "Literal translation". It involved someone literally translating 'fishball' to 'yu qiu' instead of 'yu yuan'. That was a great laugh! :) However, what I also saw, besides the humour, was that with a translation, the meaning of a word can be quite different from what it was originally intended to mean or portay. (This concept is very important when choosing a good bible translation, and I may just talk about the semiotics involved another time :p)

That funny story helped a lot in understanding the term LOST IN TRANSLATION (I'll leave the movie review to you ;p ). After thinking about all this, I realised (and was reminded) that essentially, I'm in a period of translation as well. In fact, I have been in this period of translation for a long time and I will remain to be so till my death.

As a Christian, I often fail to realise that because of Jesus Christ, no longer am I of this world. That what i'm going through on this Earth is a time of transition (note the difference) that will lead towards heaven and eternity. However, I'm not there yet. I belong to a heavenly world, though I'm still on Earth. And the mission while i'm still here? To tell others of the gospel. That's the commission my Lord has given to me. That though my words are of a different "language" (they should be motivated by the Agape love of our Lord), I pray I'll have the wisdom to translate this message in its completeness and in all its truth, bringing the fragrance of the gosple to those around me.

Now, the thing is... have I begun to give up the "citizenship perks" of this world for heaven? (Cos while i'm still here on Earth, a loss of these "perks" will equate to suffering, no doubt about it) Or am I still holding on to the bits and pieces of life, being a heavenly citizen in name but a worldly citizen in my ways?

Secondly, am I being faithful in my translation of a heavenly message? Or have I diluted its truth to blend in to a society which loves the melting-pot? Am I lost in this translation of the gospel because i refuse to rely on the Holy Spirit's strength?

Jesus' prayer for his us (all believers) really spoke to me today... i hope that to whoever's reading, this prayer will speak to you too...

"My prayer is not for them alone(the disciples). I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."
Jn 17:20-26

No comments: