Saturday, July 31, 2004

Am I the right one?

Time flies doesn't it? (super cliche, I know!) My fairer-sex peers from JC are now graduating! Oh man... and here I am going on to my 2nd year! :p Met up with a good JC friend on thursday for lunch... talked a lot, suan each other a lot... think we could have gone on for hours if not for time keeping a stranglehold on us.

And like most 20-something's we ended up talking about relationships. Haha... she's facing a time in her life where she's wondering whether the guy is the right one for her. . Think that's the wrong question that we often ask ourselves when we're contemplating the next final step of marriage. Having gone through a painful, but nonetheless wonderful relationship myself, I conclude (with 1 cents worth of experience) that the question I/we should be asking is this-- "Am I right for him/her?"

Human love is at the core, selfish. No doubt about it. No matter how we try to sugarcoat it, our love for one another is sometimes pretentious and self-gratifying. And it will continue to be so till perfection comes in the form of Jesus' second coming (however, let's work towards perfection, being transformed by the love of Christ).

Asking that question of "Is he/she right for me?" is a lose-lose situation. The answer will never be found and I'm quite sceptical towards the "you'll know, you'll just know" answer that romantic comedies often give toward meeing Mr or Ms Right (don't get the wrong idea, I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. Go Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan! ;p)

As i commented the other day about love (its a different kinda love i'm talking about now but the essense remains unchanged), true love isn't about self. Its about others. On a similar note, husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends... is your relationship emulated after that same relationship between Christ and the church?

Idealistic and impossible my thinking may seem to be, I think that before launching myself into a relationship (if I ever get into another one), I will seek to ask myself and my partner that question... "Am I the right one for you?"

In the meantime, singlehood is best used in the service for God. So to all the singles out there... press on!

No comments: