Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blessed are the poor in spirit

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

These are the first words of the most powerful, dynamic and theologically rich sermon in all history. It is also impossible to keep.

I wonder how I would react if I were there at the Sermon of the Mount...
Would I have been so filled with the Spirit that I would rise and proclaim the Kingdom to all I meet? Or would I listen to the Words of Christ and lose all hope in ever being a disciple...

Murder... being angry with anyone and calling him/her stupid (something I’ve done countless times)

Adultery... looking at any woman lustfully (gosh! I might as well be blind and deaf!)

Oaths... even using words like “honestly”, “seriously” can be considered as unnecessary swearing

Prayer/giving/fasting... how often have I felt good and quietly pleased with my own efforts and selfishly hoping that someone would notice and commends me.



the list goes on.....



and to top if off... "be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt 5:48)

Preposterous!

At this rate, I might as well pack my bags, learn survival skills and go live in the deepest jungles of Brunei! But yet, in this very same sermon, Jesus calls me to be salt and light of this world. He calls me to "let my light shine before others"

Jesus' words are absurd!

But the deeper I thought, I realised... "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Jesus didn't preach this sermon to cumber us with impossible standards. He's there to show us what GOD is like. Our human eyes see the unachievable, our spiritual eyes see the character of God Himself.


Why love my enemies? Because God makes the sun rise on the evil and the good. (Matt 5:45)

Why live without worry? Because God knows what we need and will care for us. (Matt 6:32-34)

Why pray? Because if your earthy father knows how to give good things, how much more will God give good things to those who ask Him.


Jesus did not preach these "impossibles" to make us downhearted over our inability to attain these standards. He preached these godly and holy ideals to show us that:
1) GOD is perfect.
2) after sin, we were NEVER supposed to reach perfection by our own efforts
3) GOD's safety net of grace catches us when we fall from these ideals.

This is our God.

A God who shows us our spiritual bankruptcy, our unworth, our insignificance... so that we might get on our knees in repentance and humility; in desperation for the grace and salvation of Jesus Christ.

A God who then lifts us up in the shadow of His wings, to comfort, love and provide for us.

A God who then helps us, through His Spirit, strive for Christ-likeness


A God who says...

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."





No comments: