Sunday, July 30, 2006

A beautiful wedding

Phew... the month of July has just flown past and with it, I've attended all 3 of the weddings that I was invited to.

The common thread running through them all? I wonder why I'm always tasked to help out in... fatigue work? ;p (no real complaints though... all to help out friends :) )

But otherwise, it was this last wedding yesterday that struck me most. Their order of service was slightly different from others that I've attended as they had this segment called "Couple Talk". Here, the couple invited 2 other married couples who have mentored them, whom they respect to share a few words of advice and exhortation. Hearing words of wisdom from these 2 older, matured Christian couples was an inspiration to many... even to a single like me :)

This wasn't the only meaningful bit of the wedding as the passage of Exhortation the couple chose was from Isaiah 62:1-5. Personally, I was unfamiliar with this segment of Isaiah and it was the first time that I've heard anyone choose it for their wedding. However, after hearing the speaker preach it in context, I just fell short of tears.

It amazes me each time I learn of how God the Father renews Israel. How He redeems His people, His Bride to Himself... about how our God takes us, desolate and deserted into his presence through the propitiation of Christ on the Cross and marries us... what perfect love... what amazing grace...

This was further reinforced by the hymn they chose as their "Hymn of Encouragement":

Before the Throne of God Above

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

It's a new hymn to me and I'm listening to the mp3 even as I'm typing all of this... The lyrics are beautiful, true and powerful; the melody sweet and reflective... A hymn of encouragement it is indeed :) For anyone who wants the song, just ask.

The cherry on the top was a performance by the SCGS Handbell Choir! :) I know I sound very suah koo in revealing that this was my first time listening to a handbell choir but there's a first for everything right? ;p I really wish I have pictures to share though... However, it was really refreshing to hear "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" & "Great is Thy Faithfulness" played by nothing but bells! :)

It was a simple wedding all in all but the most meaningful that I've attended. Proably contributed by the fact that I wasn't helping till after the wedding (clean up). Not sure if the couple will read this, but thanks for ministering to me with your wedding Peter & Elizabeth! It was indeed a blessing and it certainly brought God all the glory :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice... =)