Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Obi-Wan Kenobi and Easter

For those who read the Sunday Time's comics religiously (like I do), you'd have come across the Foxtrot comic strip. For those who didn't manage to read it, click here.

Chuckling at the strip and humourous as it was, it kinda reminded me of the urgent need for good, faithful, straightforward Bible teaching. This is a comic strip no doubt, but may our answers to those who ask us questions never be "The Bible came first" :p

"[4]Pray that I may proclaim it (the gospel) clearly, as I should. [5]Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6]Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Col 4:4-6[NIV]

Also, its sad to some extent that Jason knows more about Obi-Wan Kenobi & Star Wars (I'm a fan myself) than the gospel. Exaggerated as it may seem, I personally think that there's its pretty true. Borrowing some terminology from John D.Woodbridge, there are many cultural Christians today and a lot fewer authentic Christians. Jesus himself warned about them in Matthew...

"[21]Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22]On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' [23]And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
Matt 7:21-23 [ESV]

I've taken a seemingly grave tone from a mere comic strip but I assure you, I'm not condemning Foxtrot or comics as a whole. In fact, I think comics are an excellant way to destress and to take a step back to laugh at yourself and the world. :)

Rather, may we never be ignorant about the state of our world and rest on our laurels thinking that all is fine and dandy. May we understand that time is indeed of the essence and every oppurtunity that is given to us to share the gospel is indeed a gift and a blessing

Lastly, may we be prepared and equipped to even use Obi-Wan Kenobi as a launching pad to share the gospel

May the Force be with you

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you meant that you're not condemning Foxtrot. condoning is the exact opposite.

check out Johnny Hart's BC. i think the Sunday Times cancelled it because he was too preachy. i love his Easter comic strips, as well as the more overtly Christian ones.
http://www.creators.com/comics_show.cfm?next=4&ComicName=bc

Hanz

adrian said...

thx! i've changed it :p yeah... BC's cool :)