Monday, August 09, 2004

Stand up, Stand up for Jesus! & Stand up, Stand up for Singapore!

Was greatly encouraged that others were encouraged in the songs I chose during morning service yesterday :) Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

As I was reflecting about my day, I once again Thanked God for His wonderful gift of music. A world without tunes or melodies drifting in the wind is kinda unimaginable. And even if man wasn't given this gift of crafting a harmony of lovely sounds, all of nature, in their own ways, would shout out in praise of our powerful, loving, awesome God! (pls read in context! :p Luke 19:40)

Without a shadow of a doubt, music is a universal language (mathematicians will clamour that math is another one of those!). Its appeal and reach goes beyond all cultures and as someone once said (I can't remember who! Pardon me while I plagiarize...), "music speaks straight to the heart". This makes music extremely effective and useful in exorting our fellow saints in exalting our Lord.

However... music's ability to influence and control the a person's will, emotions, sometimes even a person's mind makes it an immensely powerful tool in misguiding a person to rebel against God. Sadly, music's beauty has also made it a god to others.

As a Christian, my duty lies in using this gift of music in a responsible, and more importantly, edifying manner to exort my fellow brothers and sisters in praising God with song. Why song? Cos worshipping God in song (note: 'worshipping God in song' is ONE phrase) requires me to do it with my mind as well. In other words, I need to KNOW who it is I'm singing praises to and UNDERSTAND what it is I'm proclaiming about Him. This can only be done with the help of lyrics. Thus, faithful and biblical lyrics are highly important in choosing songs to sing. As a worship leader, (let's not get into semiotics and terminology now) this is my challenge.

In our personal times of singing onto the Lord, let us choose good songs. Songs which are faithful to the Word. Songs which help us express our love for God and songs which help us better understand and appreciate God's love for us :)

And as Paul exorts us in Ephesians to do...

"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. "
Eph 5:15-21
P.S. Though singing national day songs are sometimes considered childish, I still enjoy singing them. No doubt, they may not be the best of songs, but national pride and loyalty, to me at least, are still important :) (kena brainwashed by goverment liao! :P) Happy National Day!

4 comments:

Mskmouse said...

amen! press on brother..:) hope i won't spoil the back-up singing this coming sunday. ;p

adrian said...

Haha! I would love to Yong Chieh!(though i have absolutely NO skills in playing musical instruments!) Just that its a bit difficult for me to make the time :p

adrian said...

This is Adrian Ow... long dist psy student/you met me at ptbc/non-NTU student :p

adrian said...

haha... no probs :) though i'm kinda wondering who you thought i was and how you came across this blog then :p but you're more than welcome to continue reading ;) Press on!